what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Friday, June 18, 2010

Fictional Story: 1 Nephi 2:15 continued

Her hands trembled as she opened the email. But as she started to read, Janessa gasped and brought one hand to her lips.

Janessa,
I want you to stop emailing me. Don't bother calling when I get back from my grandma's. I have no interest in your new religion. It's changing you into a person that I can't be friends with. I suppose I can't stop you from playing ball, but I promise you that I will not speak to you or even acknowledge you as long as you continue to go to your church and follow all of those silly new rules you have been given. If you do continue to bother me and attempt to be friends, I will make your life miserable.

Janessa sank back in the computer chair with tears streaming down her cheeks. Maybe she's just testing me. Or maybe Shayla somehow hacked into Iris's email. She wouldn't just write me off like this, would she?

As she wiped at her tears, Janessa heard her mother walk in behind her. "Is everything okay Nessa? Have you been crying?"

Janessa quickly exited her email. "Yeah, silly me. Iris sent me an email and told me about the kitten she found at her grandma's. I guess some neighbor dog got a hold of it and she thinks its going to die now."

"That's sad. Poor Iris. But a least you finally heard from her. That's a good sign, isn't it?"

"Yeah, I guess it is." Janessa stood up. "Well, I guess I'll go to bed now."

"Okay. Give me hugs." Janessa embraced her mom and allowed her to plant a kiss on her forehead.

As her mom started to leave the room, Janessa stopped her. "Mom, do you think I've changed since I started listening to the missionaries?"

Paula turned around. "Changed how?"

"I don't know." Janessa shrugged. "Changed so that I'm no longer fun or interesting."

Giving her daughter another hug, Paula replied. "No, Nessa. If anything about you has changed, it's the way you view yourself and the rest of the world. It's the consideration and love you've been showing to others, not that you weren't loving before, but now you have extended that love to everyone you come in contact with." Paula tapped Janessa's nose. "Get some rest. Doesn't Iris come home tomorrow?"

"Yeah."

"The two of you usually spend the entire day together. I probably won't see you until dark! Good night, Love."

After her mom left, Janessa dropped onto her bed and buried her face in her hands. What am I going to do?

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment