what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Friday, March 2, 2012

Scripture Squiggle: 2 Nephi 24:16

"They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and shall consider thee, and shall say: Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms?"


Last night as the family was gathering for scripture and prayer, my 16 year old son told my husband that he needed to talk to us before he went to bed.  My stomach knotted up as I thought about all the awful things he might be about to tell us.

Satan works that way on me.

He starts feeding me all of the worst-case possibilities anytime something breaks, someone is late coming home, or a teenager wants to talk.  And even though I try my best to turn to the Lord and trust the peace and reassurances he gives me, I always seem to keep Satan's version of things in the back of my mind, wondering if maybe he's right.

So as we walked down the hall to my room to talk, I envisioned tales of secret girlfriends, teen pregnancy, failing classes and suspensions from school, even though I know my son stresses over a C on his report card and can't even jokingly lie to us with a straight face.

I let Satan have those few moments to torment me, which he did rather well.

Until my son confessed that he forgot to turn in his application essay for National Junior Honor Society.  Oh that's all?  Why was I worried?


I look forward to the day when Satan's true character is revealed and he stands powerless before the righteous.    I hope I'm there to say, "Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms?"

Until then, I'll try my best to ignore the trembling and shaking he sends in my direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment