what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Sunday, December 6, 2009

Book Review: "Family Home Evening Adventures" by Rebecca Irvine


I've been holding FHE in my home for nearly fifteen years, and I have to admit, a quality, preplanned lesson is a mother's best friend. In her new book Family Home Evening Adventures Rebecca Irvine provides twelve wonderful time saving lessons. As I read through each lesson, I became excited at the prospect of teaching each one; the activities were easy, yet attention keeping, and I loved the fact that the lessons provided ample opportunity for incorporating the scriptures. Rebecca makes it easy to adapt her lessons for younger or older children.

In her introduction, Rebecca offers some sound advice on advance planning FHE lessons for the year and even provides a guide sheet for accomplishing this. I can't wait to fill it out!

Rebecca shows a great understanding of children and their learning needs. I tried her December lesson out on my family and was very pleased with the results. My older children loved looking up the verses and reading them aloud and the younger children couldn't wait to move Mary and Joseph along the path to Bethlehem. In fact, my eight-year old, who is often quiet and reserved during FHE, was volunteering to read and answer questions.

Anyone striving to teach their children gospel truths can benefit from Family Home Evening Adventures.

1 comment: