what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Scripture Squiggle: Ether 12: 4

"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."

When I was a teenager, we had this scripture as our theme for Girls' Camp. Each girl had a camp necklace that we added beads to every year as well as special pieces to commemorate our hikes, accomplishments, and our theme. That year we received little wooden anchors to put on our necklaces. I was also serving as a stake youth camp director; the two youth directors were given large plastic anchors attached to a plastic chain with ribbons the color of the YW values tied around them. I can't read this verse without seeing in my mind my little wooden anchor and my large plastic anchor. I love the image they give me--that my faith in Christ serves as the anchor that prevents my ship from straying off course, even in the fiercest winds of life, the slapping waves of trials, and the subtle currents of worldly ways that would try to pull us away from the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment