what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Scripture Squiggle: Alma 33:23

"And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the joy of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen."

I love Alma's comparison of the word of God to a seed. Working as a ward missionary the past few months, I have found great joy in seeing those who have accepted the gospel grow in their faith and testimony. As they nourish their tender roots in the gospel, they are growing stronger, stretching out and reaching for more light and knowledge. The trials and experiences that they were having before they joined the Church have not disappeared, but as Alma promised, their burdens have become lighter because of their hope in Christ.

We all need to remember to nourish our testimonies to keep them alive and flourishing, for our testimonies will sustain us when life is darkest.

No comments:

Post a Comment