what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Scripture Squiggle: Isaiah 40:31

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

I love the poetic beauty of Isaiah and the images he uses to augment his message. Here he tells us that if we trust the Lord, the Lord will strengthen us; then comes his image--flying with the tirelessness of eagles. As I read this verse, I can see the majestic eagle soaring in the sky, wings stretched out, buoyed up by the wind. Isaiah subtly tells us that we can soar, too, if we allow the Lord to buoy us, to be the strength that holds us up. Knowing that the Lord is our support gives additional meaning to the phrase "run, and not be weary...walk, and not faint." We will not be weary or faint because the Lord is with us, holding us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment