what is a squiggle?

According to fifth-grade teacher Mrs. Hill, a squiggle is a beginning point, a small, wiggly line on a page with the potential to become something more--a brilliantly drawn fifth-grade picture!



A beginning point. A silly phrase from my preschooler, my teenager rolling his eyes, or my kindergartner deleting my entire 3rd chapter...



Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Scripture Squiggle: Alma 31:21-23

"Now the place was called by them Rameumptom, which, being interpreted, is the holy stand.

Now, from this stand they did offer up, every man, the selfsame prayer unto God, thanking their God that they were chosen of him, and that he did not lead them away after the tradition of their brethren, and that their hearts were not stolen away to believe in things to come, which they knew nothing about.

Now, after the people had all offered up thanks after this manner, they returned to their homes, never speaking of their God again until they had assembled themselves together again to the holy stand, to offer up thanks after their manner."


I find it impossible not to judge the Zoramites, their high tower, and their ridiculous prayer, along with their once-a-week worship habits. They were so obviously wrong! But while it is easy for us to see the incorrectness of their tower and their prayer, how often do we climb upon a spiritual Rameumptom and look down at others, grateful that we have the truth and we'll be saved? In my mind I climb that tower as I sit in my car in the pick-up line at the school and see the man in front of me smoking his cigarette with a toddler in the backseat. Thanks, Lord that I can be better than this man that I don't know, because I have thy Gospel, and I don't smoke. And I ascend again at the store when I see that teenage boy with the spike through his ear, walking and complaining and cussing so that the entire world can hear. Again, thank thee Father that my son has the Gospel and that I don't let him go out and annoy other people with inappropriate dress and language.

Okay, so I don't actually say such prayers, but my attitude towards the people I see speaks the words just as effectively. Don't we all feel better when we see someone who falls short of the marks that we are able to conquer (just as we all feel rotten when we see someone who does well, that which we cannot)? So maybe the next time we feel ourselves scaling that ladder to the Rameumptom, we should make an effort to climb back down and remember that we have shortcomings as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment